Torn (Demons by Imagine Dragons)

Night Visions - Imagine Dragons
Album Cover

Artist: Imagine Dragons
Song: Demons
Album: Night Visions
Label: Interscope Records/KIDinaKorner
Year: 2012
Genre: Rock/Alternative


Song Selection/Research:

After finishing last week’s glosa a bit late, I found myself combing through different artists that I listen(ed) to and began to create a collection of potential cabezas; some with four lines and other with the potential for variation using 3 or 5 lines. For a moment, I thought I had found the one I’d use next, as the song lingered in my head as an earworm. But, I kept searching and finally found a song that compelled to stay my search for possibility and move towards reality.

Admittingly, Bleed by Imaginary Dragons was the first to tickle my senses, but right after that Demons played and I kind of just knew. This was definitely another that would touch on the personal side. Even without the research, the line “it’s where my demons lie” was like reaching into my own dark corners. The song is a warning of sorts to those loved. And that is where I live…continually isolating myself to protect those around me or the potential for those who could get close. Sure, my demons don’t mirror (to my knowledge) those written of in these lyrics, but as I believe it is meant to do with all who listen, the lyrics echoed a darkness I feel.


Cabeza:

"Your eyes, they shine so bright
   I want to save that light
      I can’t escape this now
         Unless you show me how."


The Writing Process: 

(02/13/2018)
So, having gotten a late start on writing, I was determined to compose quickly. I started on Saturday and finished Sunday. And, of course, did not journal in between my spirts of writing. This leaves me know with the task of trying to remember the thoughts that went though my mind as I composed three/four days after the fact. So, yay!

So, the first thought that came to mind as I made my selection for the cabeza was that the lines contained all the same number of syllables and it had a rhyme pattern (aabb). So, duh, let’s right it with the same number of syllables (six) in each line of the glosa. That died with the first line, which is eight syllables. And any thoughts that I might maintain a rhyme pattern of some sort beyond the sixth/ninth/tenth line left my brain almost as soon as it entered. But, I did decide that I wanted to maintain short lines with ten syllables (okay, so maybe my initial thoughts with the first line was eight, but the disappeared at line eight).

In the scheme of writing, two other interesting things transpired. First, line two of the first stanza, “and I am torn” followed by the second line of the second stanza, “but I’m torn” lead to, you guessed it, “torn” being part of line two in all stanzas. And, of course, there needs to be something your torn between, so the third and fourth lines also have a similar feel amongst all stanzas.

As for the second interesting thing…well, remember how the cabeza had a rhyme scheme (aabb). I harnessed that in stanzas two and four; both stanzas end with the consective rhyming lines from the cabeza. I can’t put my finger on when or how that decision was made, but I feel like even as I started the second stanza (before coming anywhere near the last lines) the idea was sitting on the edges of my mind.


The Finished Piece
(02/11/2018)

Again, I will be sharing the cabeza and opening stanza for this glosa. That said, given some of the interesting things discussed earlier, I’ll add an extra stanza than usual, here are the first two stanzas of “Torn”.

"Your eyes, they shine so bright
   I want to save that light
      I can’t escape this now
         Unless you show me how."
                                          –Demons
                                            Imagine Dragons

Inside of me a darkness lies
and I am torn
between selfishly loving you
and selflessly loving you.
I want you here beside me
to wipe out this blight
coursing through my veins;
with you I feel a sense of worth for
whenever you hold me in your sights,
your eyes, they shine so bright.

I want so much to bask in us,
but I’m torn
between fairytale hope
and nightmarish truths;
I want to save you from me,
but I can’t seem to fight
the beast lurking within.
Still, you have a way of making me feel,
for your eyes, they shine so bright;
I want to save that light.






Work Cited

“Demons by Imagine Dragons.” Song Facts, http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=28556.

Imagine Dragons, Alex Da Kid, and Mosser, Josh. “Demons.” Night Visions, Interscope Records, 2012.

Comments

Popular Posts